CHALLENGE RULES 2018
Lapland Extreme Challenge
Starting date: February 17th 2018
Please read the following information carefully
Lapland Extreme Challenge mandatory meeting on February 16, 2018 at 17:30 h.
Lapland Extreme Challenge start, February 17, 2018 at 09:00 h.
Lapland Extreme Challenge ends, March 19, 2018 at 09:00 h.
Registration opens August 1st 2017 and finishes on December 31st 2017.
Registration fee: is 400 euro.
REFUSAL OF ENTRY
The challenge director reserves the right to refuse entry to any participant.
In case participant cancel the registration the refund policy is as follow:
- Before the 31.12.2017, there will be a refund of 75% of the registration fee.
- Between the 01.01 and 18.01.2018, there will be a refund of 50% of the registration fee.
- Between the 19.01 and 05.02.2018, there will be a refund of 25% of the registration fee.
- After the 05.02.2018, there will be no refund.
- Entries are non transferable to any other participant or any subsequent challenge year.
- In case that the organisation cancel the challenge before it starts, the refund will be 100% of total registration fee.
- In case that the organisation cancel the challenge after the start no refunds will be given.
Participants must be a minimum of 18 years old.
Lapland Extreme Challenge is limited to 25 participants.
RACE "WAY TO GO"
You choose your way.
You choose your gear.
This is not a competition.
This is your own challenge.
NO OUTSIDE HELP
This is a human powered challenge, participants must be self sufficient. Any outside help as a support crew, outside assistance to advance up or down the trail as snowmobiles or cars or motorbikes etc, is not allowed.
- *Doesn't make any sense that in case you receive outside help you manage to make us belive that you arrive to mandatory waypoints by yourself. In fact we don't care, you're cheating yourself.
By the way, participants can buy food in any shop or supermarket they could find in the way or even sleep in hotel if they wish.
In the case that a participant, for any reasons, withdraw at any point of the Challenge, by snowmobile or car, for a day or so with the idea to return to the point where he/she left off, the organization understand this as a quit and will stop follow his/her progress.
Limit time to complete the Lapland Extreme Challenge is: 30 days. Untill March 19th 2018 at 09:00 h.
All finishers will have the official Lapland Extreme Challenge t-shirt and the typical Lappish hand made knife.
Meeting is mandatory for all participants. Failure to attend means the participant won't be controled by the organization.
During the meeting the participants must show the mandatory gear to the organization.
1- SATELLITE TRACKING DEVICE.
2- ENOUGH BATTERIES FOR SATELLITE TRACKING DEVICE.
3- MOBILE PHONE.
4- MOBILE PHONE BATTERY CHARGER.
Participants must bring all mandatory gear for check-in to the meeting.
Any participant who does not have the appropriate mandatory gear will not be controlled by the organization.
Participant will be disqualified if his/her satellite device and phone is broken or without battery for 1 day (in that case, if organization doesn't receive any signals at all will start the rescue/evacuation protocol depending situation).
TEST OF SATELLITE TRACKING DEVICE BEFORE CHALLENGE START
One week before the Challenge start all participants must do a test with their satellite tracking device. The organization will tell you the exactly dates.
PROTOCOL SATELLITE TRACKING DEVICE. WHAT YOU MUST DO!
- The device must have the casting mode activated.
- Send message when you do a long stop for rest, eat or sleep.
- Send message when you start after rest, eat or sleep.
- If satellite device tracker doesn't work because no more batteries or any other reason,
participants must send message by phone.
- if satellite device is completely broken, organisation will stop follow your progress.
Organization will take appropriate action depending on the situation.
- All participants must checking at the mandatory waypoints.
- Participants can take the way they like.
- Any participant who forgets to do a check-in at any of the mandatory waypoints will be
- Margin of error: 50 meters.
There are two (2) prohibited areas. Racers are NOT allowed to pass through these areas. Any racer who passes through these areas will be disqualified.
RESCUE, EVACUATIONS, SCRATCHING and DISQUALIFICATION.
Rescue and evacuations are at the participant's expenses.
A disqualified or scratched participant may require an evacuation, but if a participant is able and willing to return to the start under his or her own power, or with the assistance of an external source, he or she may do so.
All participants must inform to the organisation if they intend to scratch and return to the race start point.
In case a participant ask for evacuation, the organization will give to the participant the appropriate service depending the situation (by snowmobile or taxi).
For this reason is very strongly recommended to carry the sum of 400 € cash minimum, in order to cover the unexpected.
Rescue will be only in case of accident. In case of rescue the organization will give to the participant the appropriate service depending the situation. For rescue we also have the help of Firefighters and Police. The expenses incurred in this service have to be pay by the rescued person and/or fix with their own insurance.
Rescue alarm will be activated if:
- If the signal is at the same point and organization has not received any message
from the participant by phone or satellite tracking device.
- No signal by satellite tracking device and your phone have no signal.
- If you push the SOS button on your satellite tracking device.
- If you send SOS message.
- If you call us asking for help.
A disqualified or scratched participant doesn't have to quit if he/she doesn't want but his/her name won't be in the "Finisher's list". The organization will inform the disqualified participant by phone message.
Respect Private Property. You are not allowed to pass, sleep or use any Private Property (Finnish laws).
LITTER and USED or WET GEAR and OTHER STUFF
Do not litter the trail. Leave no trace. If we know it or we see your litter somewhere around, you are disqualified.
Do not damage any structures, Private Property. Be respectful.